During the Second World War, the Civil Service Boathouse was requisitioned as a mortuary (although it was never used as such) and remained 'off limits' to Cygnet members until July 1946. The remainder of this decade may best be characterised as a period of rebuilding, as members drifted back from the armed services and gradually acclimatised to some sense of normalcy. Lewis Balfour became president in 1946 and G P Jefferies took up the reigns of captain again. Cygnet began to welcome new members from all government departments rather than just the Post Office and the boathouse acquired its first bar.
Note no Emanuel Boathouse at this time
Established in 1946 and registered as an ARA event
From left: Crozier, Wheldal, Balfour and Jefferies
From left: A.G.(Dusty) Miller, D.E.Hutchins, N.H.T (Paddy) Padwick and G.P.Jefferies
Club president 1946-56