Captain's Log: Issue 4
3rd September 2021
Good Afternoon Cygnets, this is your Captain speaking
A few days later than planned (for which my apologies) but a big thank you to everyone who attended this weekend's End of Season Celebrations and club day events - was great to see so many of you there and to get the real social buzz back at the club again.
Congratulations to all who raced on Club Day and thank you for the support from the bank in the Captain's Race - well raced Martin! You'll find some highlights from Club Day 2021 here
End of Season Awards:
- Congratulations to Mustafa Ozyurt, awarded the Wally Wheldal Cup for sportsmanship and endeavour as the clubman of the year for his huge efforts this season in bringing the club community back together and reuniting us all in response to the pandemic around the clubhouse and in the bar. Many of us have really benefited from Mustafa's efforts, reinjecting life and social spirit after a very difficult period impacting on life at the club. Thank you Mustafa for all that you have done in demonstrating the Cygnet Spirit.
- Congratulations to Rower of the Year, Matthew Gutteridge, awarded the J P Jeffries Cup, for his exemplary development as a rower and for representing Cygnet competitively across a range of disciplines in Regatta this summer, with a really positive commitment to the training programme and an excellent racing season. You can be hugely proud of your rowing achievements with us this season and I very much hope more to celebrate in the year ahead.
- Special rowing commendations went to Ross Stewart (last year's rower of the year) for his achievements and success in the single scull again this season. And to Gareth Furby for his participation alongside the squad and development during squad outings this season and the significant improvements in the coached land and water sessions. Congratulations to both Ross and Gareth.
- A big thank you to our wonderful team of coaches for all their hard efforts and dedication with us this season and to all the committed volunteers behind the scenes, around the boathouse and on the hard who keep us running as a club and a community making the successful and welcoming club that we are: thank you to you all.
- Special mention to Cris who was celebrated as outgoing Captain and awarded a special Cygnet blade for all his efforts over the last three seasons.
Thanks to everyone who helped out on the day and made it a very special evening - great to see you all.
- Final call to sign up for next weekend - please sign up via fitclub/contact Martin if you are planning on attending. Details will follow for those who have signed up about loading the trailer and the timetable for the weekend.
- Season starts Tuesday 14th September - Squads Meeting at the club 1930. If you are looking to sign up and row with us this coming season, please join us - we will be presenting the plans for squad training and races over the next season and getting us all together to get the season underway. Whether you are new to the squad/club or returning for another season, attendance is expected. We'll also be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
- Sculler's Head (18th September) is not too far away, anyone who has not signed up yet, please make yourself known if you are interested, entries are now being finalised.
- Pair's Head (2nd October) entries are now open, if you'd like to race a 2- or 2x please sign up on Fitclub or get in contact if you are interested in racing.
- The usual weekend water outings are on Fitclub, please sign up if you want to get on the water this weekend.
- Weeknight sessions for pre-season are also online, these are now land-based because of the earlier sunsets, squad ergs and strength and conditioning sessions are bookable on fitclub.
Safety and navigation
- You will have seen the recent announcements about the Barnes Bridge arch closure - please note the new navigation rules and proceed with caution: https://www.cygnet-rc.org.uk/article-barnes_bridge_arch_closure.html
- As the evenings are beginning to draw in, if you are going afloat independently, please ensure lights are fitted if afloat after 18:00.
- Steering tests will be conducted during September - please let me know if you need to complete yours.
Thanks all and have a lovely evening, any questions or queries just get in touch.