Head race boating
• It is the responsibility of any crew boating on the Tideway to familiarise themselves with the TIDEWAY CODE before going afloat, even for Head races.
• An excellent article on what to expect from the Tideway
• Bring wellies if you don't want cold, wet feet
• Please boat promptly when instructed: there are a lot of boats to get afloat
• Join the boating queue with your bows facing towards Barnes Bridge: unless otherwise instructed
• Please don't cover the hard in blades as it slows down boating and they may get damaged. Blades may also float away if boating on a flood tide
• Portable toilets are provided on Dukes Meadows for most Head Races. Further facilities, including showers, are available inside the boat house
• Refreshments are available from the stall in front of the boat house
• Please use the litter bins provided or take your rubbish home. It is important for us to continue boating from Dukes Meadows that the area is left clean and tidy after rowing events
Boating fees & limits
For most heads we charge a small boating fee to cover costs. This fee is not a deposit and should be paid in cash or by card when collecting your race numbers. No boating fee: no number.
Once the boat limit is reached the hard will be closed for boating:
|Boat class||Boating fee||Boat Limit|
|Pairs/Doubles||£5 / crew||80 crews|
|Fours/Quads||£10 / crew||60 crews|
|Eights||£20 / crew||60 crews|
Click on the diagram below to enlarge for detailed instructions on parking, rigging and boating.
Please note that the Local Authority are increasingly strict about traffic and parking on Dukes Meadows during Head Races.
Marshals are in place to help so please obey their instructions: they are not trying to be obstructive but are trying to ensure that Dukes Meadows remains open for Head Race boating by meeting the council's requirements. Your cooperation and understanding is expected and much appreciated.