Cygnet Weekly Update: Monday 11th May 2015
11th May 2015
A very busy Saturday for some of us at Borne Regatta on Saturday, where Cygnet were represented from the very first to very last races.
- First up was a cracking row from our Novice 4+, beating Putney Town and Quintin crews, to meet Canford School in the final. Unfortunately in the final youth triumphed by a few lengths, but a very positive performance to build on as we start the season.
- Also in the morning was Guy in his 1x -, entered at Mas.C.Nov but bumped up to Nov. Losing by only a length to a Tradesman sculler who made it to the final.
- In the afternoon Cygnet and Barnes Bridge Ladies stacked the Mixed 4+ category with four pudding-themed entries to guarantee a) some pots and b) lots of fun, and were successful on both counts Coach Sue further stacked her crew selection so that her Eton Messes beat Spotted Dicks in the final. So congratulations to Sue, Matt B, Stu, Katie M (BBLRC), and Charlie (BBLRC) for their (ahem) well-deserved pots.
- Finally, a straight final in the IM3 8+ against St Paul's School, where again youth prevailed, but a good close to a day that gave a few Cygnets their first taste of regatta racing.
Worth noting that the namesakes of all three boats we raced in - the Ronnie Lambe, Neil Pickford, and Marjorie Israel - were officiating (superbly) at the regatta.
Then we all decamped to the boathouse bar where beer was drunk, pasta was consumed, and regatta-related anecdotes were recounted.
Next up for us is Twickenham Regatta on Saturday 23rd. If you want to race, this is your last call to update the availability spreadsheet. We already have enough for various boats, including doubling-up - although it will depend on what other entries the regatta gets to some extent. The BB Ladies will also be going, there's a possibility of Mixed racing again, and it's usually a good day on a lovely bit of the river out so do try and make it.
Twickenham regatta will also require trailering, but not very far. So an ideal opportunity for any of you who might be encouraged to become a Really Useful Cygnet and learn the simple arts of hitching the trailer, towing, and parking. Please let me or Sue know if you can help out on that front, so that it's not always the usual suspects.
Tues - evening - coached outings (crew list sent out).
Cygnet Weekly Erg: 3x 8mins (each with 6mins r28, 2mins r30)
Thurs - evening - outings (crew list to follow).
Thurs - evening - post-outing food, courtesy of Ian & Katie, please let them know if you intend to stay.
Sat & Sun - mornings - outings (crew lists to follow)
Whilst we want racing combinations to go out on the water as much as possible, we will endeavour to get everyone out training if we can. So do keep your availability up-to-date, and bear with us.
Kit - Another reminder about the 125th commemorative kit available - order via the online form on the website. Also, Mike E will be coordinating a kit window with Godfrey shortly.
Further ahead - dates for summer diaries should include:
- Fri 3rd July - Henley Royal Regatta Club Day
- Fri 17th July - House of Lords Reception
- Sat 25th - Sun 26th July - St Neots Regatta
- Sat 22nd Aug - Boathouse Club Day
That's all for now.